Some of my favourites are:
- We should keep a smile on our faces.
- If we forget our textbook we should make a copy of our friend's textbook.
- Our teacher must help us get 100% on the test.
- Mr. Stout must give us a fair grade.
- The teacher must remember to bring whiteboard markers to class.
In some classes at Toyo Gakuen University, we were in a Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) room, and I asked the students to look at the cartoon I posted on this blog on the 13th of September, and then write some rules for the class by leaving a comment. Click the link to see the cartoon and the students' rules in the comment section. In other classes, I printed the cartoon and showed it to the students. I asked them to write some rules. I made it a race actually. After that we went over the rules correcting grammar, and making some changes to the rules. This was part of the negotiation process (折衝［交渉］過程［プロセス］). In the pictures you will see that some rules are crossed out. That's because sometimes singing and dancing are OK in my classes. I did make a mistake. I crossed out the wrong rule in one of the photos. Can you guess which one?