Thursday, November 13, 2008

Haiku by Toyo Gakuen University Extension Centre Students

Writing English Haiku is fun and useful. Writing Haiku helps you learn vocabulary and pronunciation.
Here are some haiku. Students in my extension centre classes at Toyo Gakuen University wrote these haiku. All these haiku are traditional in form: They all have three lines. They have a 5/7/5 syllable pattern and they have kigo (季語). Kigo are words that reflect the season. In these haiku the kigo are persimmon (柿) and crab (カニ). Persimmons and crab are eaten in autumn in Japan.
Enjoy!
Houryuji
I eat persimmon
Remember Nara Temple
I come back happy
by Masayuki

Persimmon eating
I hear the ring of a bell sound
Houryuji Temple
by Yoshio

Persimmon
Persimmon


I want to eat crab
Every year in winter but
very expensive
by Masako

What a delicious
cuisine in the world you are
We call you a crab
by Kayoko


Originally uploaded by panduh

3 comments:

  1. heya, Mr.Stout. sorry ive been away for long time from blog.how are you doin these days? other Kanto students in Aber and I are fine but it's very busy this month because we get lots of assignments before the winter holidays! have you already decided your plan for winter holidays?
    talk to me soon;-)

    Best wishes,
    Sayaka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sayaka,
    Thanks for the comment.
    I haven't made any plans for the winter holiday yet. The only thing I know is that I'll be staying in Tokyo. I'm hoping that some of my Ukima Koen mates will want to have a Christmas party. If they do, I think it'll be fantastic because our little group is multicultural. We have an American, 2 Canadians (including me), a Spaniard, a South American, and of course some Japanese. I haven't had time to meet my Ukima Koen friends recently. We've missed Kouyou (紅葉). The leaves are starting to fall. It's a shame. However, I think I'll meet them soon and I hope we can plan a party then.
    I DO have plans for the spring holiday. I'm going to Tahiti, and I might be going to Laos and the Phillipines.
    Looking forward to your reply.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know the autumn passed so quickly. I think this season is very strange for me 'cause every Sep, it get warm for few weeks and radically change to winter weather. anyway, hope you can have a Cristmas party with your multicultural friends!:-))

    ReplyDelete