Friday, March 30, 2007

Holiday in Paradise


In this blog entry I'll show you some pictures from my holiday in Hawai'i and I'll tell you a little about the things I did. Be sure to click the links to get more information. If you have any questions or comments please e-mail me or post a comment.

I left Japan on March 14th at about 10 pm and arrived in Honolulu on March 14th at about 9:30 am. I went back in time! I was able to do this because I crossed the International Date Line. The International Date Line is the red dotted line on the map below. There is a red star next to Hawai'i on the map.


Click the map to see larger version


After I passed through customs and immigration (税関とパスポートコントロール) I got on another plane and flew to the city of Hilo on the The Island of Hawai'i, which is usually called "The Big Island" because it is the biggest of the Hawaiian islands. The Big Island is in the lower right corner of the map below.


Click the map to see larger version

Hilo is on the right side of the map below. There is an icon next to Hilo on the map. It looks like an airplane. The icon shows that there is an airport in Hilo.


Click the map to see larger version


I was met at the airport by my friend and former colleague Rick Turchi. Mr Turchi and I taught together at Kanto International High School. I stayed with Mr Turchi and his family for most of my holiday. You can see a picture of Mr Turchi's house below.



Click the photo to see larger version


The first night of my holiday Mr Turchi and his family treated my wife and I to a great dinner. We had barbequed steak! It was delicious. As you can see from the photo below, we also had brown rice (玄米), yams and corn.


Click the photo to see larger version


After dinner, Mr Turchi and I relaxed on the veranda. The atmosphere was great.


Click the photo to see larger version

While we were relaxing on the veranda, we could hear the singing of coqui frogs.


You can see more pictures and hear the coqui frog's song by clicking here. You can get information about the coqui in Japanese by clicking here.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment