Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Cologne Cathedral



On the twenty-sixth of December I made a day-trip to Cologne. I visited Cologne Cathedral. Cologne Cathedral is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Also, it was the tallest building in the world from 1880 to 1890.
Cologne Cathedral is built in the Gothic style. Therefore it has very ceilings and pointed arches.
It also has many beautiful works of art. You can see some examples of the art work below.

The Crucifix of Bishop Gero is in the picture above. It was made in the 10th century CE.





The picture above is a nativity scene that was made specially for Christmas. The picture below is a close-up of the baby Jesus with his mother and a shepherd.


I climbed to the top of the bell tower. It was very a very difficult climb. I made me very tired.

The picture below is the view from the top of the bell tower. You can see the Rhine river.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:25 pm

    I thought that the photograph in the church was very mysterious.
    The photograph where Jesus Christ was put on the cross was impressive.

    ReplyDelete