Sunday, April 20, 2008

A model language learner

We all need role models (模範的な人, 手本). Language learning role models are especially important. My friend Sanae is one of my language learning role models. I think she is a great role model. She studied English in Junior High School and Senior High School but she didn't learn English. She wasn't happy that she didn't learn English, so she made an effort to really learn English. Now her English is excellent. She has written books about learning English and she is an English teacher. Please visit her website to read her story. Her website is called Sanae's Place.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:09 pm

    Thanks for the link, I hadn't come across it before. While she obviously means well and I couldn't find anything I actually disagreed with, one of my theories on why Japanese students lag behind some other countries is that they spend too much time on inspiring messages in Japanese and too little time just doing stuff in English only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:13 am

    Hi Alex,
    Thanks for your comment.
    Sanae is a model learner precisely because she does things in English only. She has made friends with many English speaking people, both Japanese speakers of English and others. I had dinner with her and a few friends a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that Sanae and all the other Japanese members of our group were having their conversations in English. There wasn't any need for this, of course. They WANTED to speak English. Sanae, and a few other people I know are model learners because they do exactly what you suggest. They need the inspiring message perhaps but they act upon it too. I'm going to feature some more model language learners in the future. I hope you'll comment again.

    ReplyDelete